Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Gospel and Parenting


Today our Pastor (Dr. David Platt, The Church at Brook Hills) preached on the gospel in parenting and may I say it was one of the best messages on parenting I have heard.

Key text: Ephesians 6:1-4

We learned how the gospel translates into how we parent and honor our parents. Let's just say David brought the Word today and praise the Lord that he said in the beginning he wanted to stay as close to God's Word and bring clarity to it without his opinion is truly a rarity in American Contemporary Christian Culture.

Based on today's message the thing that gets me the most is how we as a Christian culture have relegated the responsibility of teaching and training and discipling our children to the "professions" in stead of doing as the Lord commanded. There really is no excuse for us here in the west with our Bibles in every form imaginable to first not know this and next not to live by it.

Feel free to download the podcast/message/outline notes and not only listen to it but put it into practice. Just click HERE.

I know this will change the way I respond to my parents and even help me send a little letter to them thanking them for who they are and how much I value them. This is something I surely did not do in my teenage years, but have come to realize.

My prayer is that we will transcend our culture (even this contemporary Christian culture) to be true disciple makers for His glory. For ever and ever, amen.

No comments: